Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. ~ Mary Jean Irion


- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Letting Go and Holding On


All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.        ~ HENRY ELLIS

So, this morning I was washing my cereal down with swigs of Dr. Pepper to somehow catapult myself through the day.  ...Also, there was no milk in the house.  I haven’t slept much the last few nights thanks to my adorable children.  They’ve instituted a strict regime of crying out exactly every half hour, like sentries on a night watch.
Today, my almost four-year-old son--The Hurricane--used the shower curtain to channel all his shower water onto the bathroom floor.  I was folding laundry in the room directly across, but it was several minutes before I noticed the subtle difference between the sound of normal shower and the sound of water pattering onto the linoleum.  (I knew we should’ve re-caulked in there before it was too late!! ) The good news is that the bathroom floor is really clean now.  The bad news is that the elliptical machine in the room right below also got a good rinse down. I might just get electroshock therapy along with my workout now.  
I’ve been thinking a lot about that quote above, about letting go and holding on.  There are a lot of things in my day-to-day life that I just have to leave by the wayside.  Life can be hectic and frustrating.  Milk spills.  Chickens you already counted don't hatch.  Appliances break.  Sometimes on their own, and sometimes because your son tried using the dishwasher door as a trampoline.  Let it go.  (Well--discipline your kid, and then let it go.)
But other things I have to hold onto for all I’m worth. There are so many beautiful moments and so many blessings.  I want to be paying attention so I don’t miss them.  My baby girl's face lighting up anytime I'm near.  Hearing her happy cooing and chattering.  Being here to see all her little milestones.  Watching Hurry learn new things each day and hearing all his imaginative theories about life.  The fact that he says "yoodles" instead of noodles.  A husband who is unfailingly kind.  Tonight I tucked Hurry into bed, and as I was walking out of his room he said, “Mom?”  I walked back.  He looked at me with big, sincere eyes.  “You are my mom.  Forever and ever, okay?”  Okay.

0 comments:

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

RELEVANT TUNES


CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON TO LISTEN
- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~






Template Brought by :

blogger templates